Local History

Burpengary History

Austin motor vehicle crossing a bridge on the North Coast Road at Burpengary, 1934

Burpengary originates from Burpen-gar, meaning the place of the green wattle tree.

The green wattle tree, sometimes also called the early black wattle, grows in open forest country.

South East Queensland is about as far north as it grows, but it is to be found in all the southern states.

Its bark is dark grey, almost black and its scientific name is Acacia decurrens. Hoop pine plantations were successfully established 60 years ago particularly in the vicinity of the Bruce Highway and the old Bruce Highway. These riparian vegetation stands throughout this suburb have been instrumental in encouraging the presence of honeyeaters, rosellas and eastern whipbirds whistling in the native stands of acacia and in fact has more bird varieties than Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory.

One of the shire’s fastest growing residential areas, the development is an example of utilising the latest technology in providing estates incorporating the best environmental practices.

Source: www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au